Chili Oil is great on dumplings and all. This stuff is so easy to make and really only takes a few minutes of active time. So if you’re not making your own chili oil at home yet, it’s time to start.
What You Will Need
- A heat safe bowl
- small pot
- teaspoon for stirring
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable oil (Olive oil can work but adds its own flavour)
- 1 Clove garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup chili crushed flakes
- add garlic, chili flakes and salt to a heat safe bowl
- in a small pot, heat the oil, test by dropping a single chili flake or pinch of powdered spice – it should immediately sizzle.
- pour hot oil into heat proof bowl with spices.
- The mixture should immediately sizzle.
- Leave to cool and stir occasionally to help flavours infuse
Coconut oil is best as it has a higher smoke point when heating.
You can vary the levels of garlic and chili flakes/powder to your tastes.
Crushed chili flakes available in most groceries
The longer you leave the oil to infuse, the better the flavour, make a batch and let steep for a few days